Nicholas's blog

Starting "Wild English" (2) Restoring the boat

Hmm, maybe the new boat needs a bit more than just some new paint...

Warning signs on the new boat

That's not good...

Nasty-looking interior of hull

The wood was very, very wet. Some parts started to reminded me of the Viking ship at Oseberg:

Classic wooden boats...

And the weather in March doesn't always help...

Land Rover in wind and snow

I saturated the wood with a home-made mixture of monoethylene glycol and disodium tetraborate pentahydrate (borax). This should stabilise the wood as it dries. It is also an anti-fungal wood preservative. It will kill any rot, but probably not kill me:

Monoethylene glycol and borax wood treatment

The previous owner had painted epoxy resin over the whole interior of the boat, but it was not a success. The epoxy cracked, so it let the wood get wet but stopped it from getting dry again. It took me 8 weeks to remove the resin, mainly with an angle grinder. There now, that's better:

Clean, dry gig under cover

There's rot in the transom, rot in the quarter knee, rot in the gunwale .... Don't worry, my love, this won't hurt a bit:

Classic boat needs a new transom

I cut out the rotten wood and replaced it with new wood. Then I found that somebody (!!*!-**) had poured liquid plastic foam down the centreboard case. The centreboard was fixed permanently in one position. It took me three weeks of hard work to get all the foam out. I had to make special tools to do the job.